Sunday, February 15, 2009

Putting Light Where the Money Is

Can lighting influence one to buy or not to buy a product? I think so. And I do not understand why some clothing stores have not caught on to this. Shopping the other day, I realized that dressing rooms that have horrible, bright florescent light over a badly angled mirror in a plain white dressing room do not inspire agreement. This kind of lighting brings out flaws and one will notice all their flaws trying on the clothing. Well, one is not going to be to excited to buy clothing that they perceive shows their flaws. You would think a store would really push to make an enjoyable lighting environment that makes their reflection in the mirror look good because they will attribute this to the clothing. Shopping on Friday, I realized Victoria's Secret knew how to light their dressing rooms. Victoria Secret works with the psychological connection between beauty and purchase (such as using beautiful models as a symbol of their company). Well lighting greatly attributes to beauty. The lights are dimmed in the dressing room, but their is a warm light which reflects off the skin in the mirrors. I think people are much more inclined to buy something for $50 in lighting that makes them look good.

1 comment:

  1. I obviously agree and thank goodness retail is mainly lit by architectural lighting designers now, rather than engineers.

    Nice observations.

    ReplyDelete