Monday, February 16, 2009

The Happiest Place


I am a rare California kid when it comes to Disneyland.  I grew up in Northern California, so the distance to Anaheim was rarely worth the commute, and I have not been able to afford many trips on my college bank account since I've moved to the area.  So even though I live 20 minutes away from the park, I've only been a handful of times.  I was able to make it last week, thanks to the kindness of a friend who works for the company.  It was a rainy day, which meant that the population of visitors was next to nothing (which, more importantly, meant no wait time for rides!).  The sun would alternate between hiding behind gray smears of clouds and shining over the Matterhorn.  When the sun set, however, was when I was able to find the real beauty.  Cinderella's Castle was lit from all sides to glow an unnatural pink color, and it's juxtaposition against the dark, clear sky was what created the real magic for me.  It seemed to transmit a slight aura that was similar to the moon's, so what could have been an unnatural candy hue was softened and made less stark and surprising.  It was a beautiful end to an enchanted day.

1 comment: