Sunday, March 1, 2009

Single Light

So one night I stroll casually to my apartment. I round the corner, keys in hand, when who should I find, but none other than Annie Nelson, huddled helplessly at my front door. Luckily for me, I always keep my camera at the ready, so it was a mere handful of seconds between me and a digital memory captured forever. She directly under a bright outdoor light that gave off a yellowish glow. The rain had dampened the concrete where the overhang didn't cover, and there were leaves scattered about. This made for a very textural surface that was enhanced by the light. If I had to compare this light to one we've used in class, I suppose the closest thing would be the down Fresnel that we're oh so fond of. Annie's crown, shoulders, and knees were softly lit from above, and yet there were no distinct lines between shadow and light. And because the light was located on a vertical wall as opposed to a horizontal ceiling, the features of said wall were also highlighted. The texture of the stucco as well as the frames of the door and window displayed contrast and shadow that would otherwise go unnoticed in broad daylight.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice detailed post. Great analytical look at the surfaces and the light.

    Intriguing photo as well - would be fun to try to do in class.

    ReplyDelete