So, I worked lighting strike for BoT and got to play with lights. Yay. As I organized gels into piles from lights as they came off the pipes, I notice a whole heck of a lot of blue. There was one saturated red, one lime green, a couple ambers and the rest (more than 70%) was blue/purples. I put on the hat of a lighting designer: How much light will actually be onstage? Will it be enough for the audience to see the show?
(As a side note here, understand that this is a personal opinion and an educational critique and does not in any way reflect Addy's WONDEFUL design that fit the show's dark nature.)
I thought through the show: I remember specific white light that captured action as Wendy and the Darling boys would sit at the table or when they first came, Hook was often lit with the primary red (her death and her hand being cut off), Tink had spotlights for her epic battle scene in ActII and Misery, the dream sequence was lit by a single light to remove the scene from normal time (so you could sense this scene was apart from throughline plot), but after that....there was a lot of blue. Low light blue. My friend commented on the faeries makeup saying that despite the amount of color and sequins, it was hard to see our faces. Come to think of it, sometimes I had hard time seeing their faces. Additionally, there were many gobos used that cut apart the light, making it into waves, slots, dashes and tangles.
So, all in all, I guess my blog is a question to the audience members: Was there enough light in the show? And for myself, with this lighting designer hat on: How could I still use all that blue and properly light the stage?
Monday, March 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kat - I think the answer comes more in cutting through the blue with crisper light, so that the shadows color the mood while crisp light provides for the action
ReplyDeleteThat sounds kinda intense....I'm glad I'm not that far yet!
ReplyDelete