Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Bonfire Magic


My cousins and I love to make bonfires whenever we get together. There is something so simple, peaceful and wonderful about sitting by a roaring fire while the blackness of night surrounds all others areas. I have always been entranced by the type of light and effect that fire casts. When sitting around a huge bonfire a whole wall of light erupts and casts little shadows around it depending on which way the flames sway back and forth. People's faces are outlined by the black behind and the fire in front (which serves as a kind of front light). What I love most about the light of a bonfire (which would probably not work in most theatres) is the spontaneity. You never know which way the light will shift or fade or how long it will even stay strong. There is some kind of a magic in this unexpected light. The orange, yellow and red glows are incomparable to any other light I have seen in the world around me. They hold a passion and intensity that cannot be matched.

1 comment:

  1. Nice descrition of the qualities of light in fire - next time you see one, think about the cool colors, in addition to the warms, that are created by the darkness and the cool colors at the base of the fire :)

    ReplyDelete