Monday, January 19, 2009

Reality Set In

It was a little past two am this morning when my phone rings and it's my best friend saying her tire blew out on the freeway, immediately I rush out of the house and I'm at her side within ten minutes of the call. I arrive and pull up behind her onto the right shoulder of the freeway, I get off and realized that the situation was far more serious than she made it seem, not only did a tire pop but she had crashed into the center divider and the entire drivers side was basically obliterated! I run over to her and hug her, wile yelling at the same time, it was one of the darkest nights this year and the area that she had pulled over to was near a field so there was no lighting at all, except from the cars that were zooming past us. As i stood there in the darkness waiting for the tow truck to arrive every headlight that shined our way reminded me of the miracle my friend had just experienced. When the headlights would shine the road I just kept picturing how my friend must have lost control of the car, and how much fear must have been rushing through her body. The florescent lights reminded me of the "light" that shines when you're about to die, and that's when reality set in. I was thankful for the night yet ungrateful at the same time, perhaps if there were lights she wouldn't have been falling asleep so easily, but at the same time because it was dark out there were far less people on the road, which kept her safe from crashing into others and making the situation worse. Although it was difficult to see, the night offered some comfort, because there weren't any extremly bright lights to create more stress, the darkness shrouded the damage on the car a bit and allowed a more calm and ambiguous atmosphere as opposed to having the lights shinning on us and feeling like were center stage.

1 comment:

  1. Nice observations about how light affects emotion. I hope everything turned out OK.

    Much of this is about brush strokes and quality of light. Raw and unfocused - a feeling of a PAR can.

    ReplyDelete