Monday, January 19, 2009

The Artist's Canvas

After a long day of driving around and getting lost, my roommate and I decided to finish off our day by driving up Pacific Coast Highway.  We stopped at a small beach near Laguna to watch the sunset.  We arrived about twenty minutes before sunset.  The sun was still a little above the horizon, and burning a bright orange.  The air was just starting to cool, and the tide was coming in.  The sun set the water on fire, leaving it scattered in orange and yellow flames.  As I stood on the beach, knee deep in the waves, I watched as the horizon slowly extinguished the flames.  The shape of the sun became unclear as it sunk lower into the horizon.  The sky was no longer blue, but painted in oranges, greens, pinks, and purples.  The oranges and greens in the sky slowly sank away, leaving only the pinks and purples.  I could see the brush strokes of color in the waves as though they had been painted on an artist's canvas.  The turquoise water was painted in yellows, oranges, pinks, and purples.  As the water and the sky shifted from fire to cool, a strange calm filled the air.  I felt completely relaxed and comfortable, and I found myself wishing that I had brought a canvas and paints because I could see the brushstrokes so clearly on the water.  

1 comment: