Sunday, January 18, 2009

Waterworks

Aptly named, the Irvine "Spectrum" Center is indeed a host to a vast spectrum of lighting effects. From the glow of each store's sign, to the harsh light spilling from their windows, lighting at the Spectrum comes in a multitude of varieties. Usually I walk past without a second glance, but on the evening of Saturday, January 17th, I was taken by the display of water and light seen here. I've always been fascinated by the movement of water captured in a still frame, and these softly lit floor lamps only enhance that fascination. In person, provided you have adequate vision, you can see every cascading droplet of water lit from below, as well as the constant jet of water shooting up in an almost perfect vertical line. I also notice an almost effervescent electricity that's created at the base, a quality that somewhat resembles a small explosion of sparks. Truly, when specifically lit, moving water droplets can look very much like sparks. Who says water and electricity don't mix?

No comments:

Post a Comment