Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Lights Rule the Road

I was driving through the city in rush hour traffic. Amidst the stopping and going, I noticed the root of the problem. The stop light. We drive through them everyday. They dictate our actions like a tyrant but we question them and stop to think about why they were created in their current form. The colors used for “stop” and “go” are very significant. They are understood everywhere in any shape as meaning stop and go. Yet, who decided “stop” and “go” should be red and green? Why not Purple and Orange? I realize in rush hour traffic, I'm very angry every time the light turns red and very relieved once it finally turns green. I find it funny that the color of stop is the same color associated with feelings of lust or feelings of anger and violence. I also find it ironic that the color green is associated with good feelings, growth of life, general happy things, and yet “go” is green. Why would someone torture us so by choosing these colors. It's as if they wanted us to get upset when the light turns red. I'm definitely lustful to get through the light because I don't want to wait. It makes me wonder if I wouldn't get as frustrated if the “stop” light were a color like purple or blue. It might make me feel better, like I have a moment to stop and take a breath. Also, Green and Red are indeterminable to a colorblind person. It's as if the person who chose stop light colors hates everybody. Although if they switched green and red, we might be angrier when we can go than when we're stopped, causing us to race the person next to us. Maybe the creator felt it was better for the driver to be angry while stopped rather than going. Perhaps there is a master plan to the stop light after all.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree except that if the Stop light were another color, we may not notice it.

    Just a trivial note - in Japan, they call the 'Go' light aoiro (pronounced oww) which means blue but the light is actually green :) - when I lived there, I couldn't get anyone to explain it to me

    ReplyDelete